Sunday, September 28, 2008

Numbers and Running

I just had to say how much I enjoyed the General Relief Society Broadcast last night. Especially President Uchtdurf's talk. If you missed it, watch it on lds.org or tivo it. He had some great ideas on how to find peace and happiness - some things I hadn't thought about before. He started his talk with a fun discussion of how different men and women are. He talked about his wife's cooking and how wonderful it is. He says she will usually sit down and say things like, "I think I added a pinch too much ginger, or maybe next time I will add another bay leaf." He thinks her meal are amazng. When he cooks his specialty - fried eggs and toast - they usually end up greasy and burned. However, he feels like a super hero for doing it. Maybe us ladies could learn something from the men about that!

We discovered this week that Jessica knows quite a few of her numbers by sight. As I was quizzing her to see which ones she knows, I held up a 5 for Eric first and asked him if he knew what it was. He said his classic, "I don't know." Jessica pipes up with a, "It's 5, Eric!" YIKES! We have created a smart monster!

Abby ran in a 1/2 mile district wide race for elementary kids. Anyone can enter and she was excited when the flyer came home from school. They gave a ribbon to everyone who participated and then the top 6 were recognized. Her friend got 5th place and I think Abby must have been 8th or so. I think she was a little disappointed, but it was a good experience for all of us. Maybe I can get Kim and Eric to participate next year!

I have been working on a humanitarian project our ward is doing. We are making remembrance quilts for parents whose children die at the hospital at or soon after birth and never come home. They are tiny quilts - 18x18 - and we are piecing the tops. They come with a matching bag for the parents to put small momentos of the child - a lock of hair, hospital tags, etc... It's been a learning experience for me and a bit sobering to think about their uses.

Eric has been drawing lots of people lately, so I'll have to learn how to scan them and add them to the blog. They are very cute. Kim is doing well in school. It's been a good experience for her to have more tests. She will be in middle school next year. Of course, I have had 4 or 5 people ask me lately when she will turn 12 and go into Young Womens. I have to tell them she still has TWO MORE YEARS! She'll be ready.

2 comments:

Que Sera said...

Aw. Everyone is growing up. I can't wait to see them all this Christmas. I'm glad Emily found a good way to get us all up there too :) I'm happy to hear that your kids are smart, tall, and fit. I bet Abby could beat me in a race ;)

D and S Heaton said...

Thanks for the update Odie. At least President Uchtdorf is allowed to use the stove and the microwave! He should get some points for that.
So Jessica might be a brainiac. Good for her.
As for Eric...maybe the competition will make him more vocal about what he knows.
And Abby will be going into training for next year's race.
Now, Kim needs to realize that tall women are awesome! It isn't fun now but wait a few years and she'll be the envy of all the girls in her class.
Just nurture her self-image and see if she likes volleyball.
XOXO
Dad